And now for something completely different…from me at least.


I spotted this carpet of bluebells on my way to work yesterday morning, so I stopped to take a few shots. Having got home I started to think about how I wanted to present this particular image, to me it just seemed a bit ordinary as a straight shot. I thought popped into my head about applying the Orton treatment, something I’ve not done in quite some time. For those unfamiliar it’s basically taking two versions of the same scene, one in focus and the other blurred, then sandwiching them together to create a more painterly look. Click on the highlighted word to go to a Photoshop tutorial. After a bit more fiddling around in Lightroom I ended up with what you see here.

The next two shots are the results of experimenting with moving and zooming the camera and lens during the exposure, it’s very hit and miss. To achieve this I basically needed to set the camera to give the longest shutter speed available given the bright condition. For this I set the ISO to 100 and the aperture to f11, the smallest on my Fujifilm X10 compact.


For the shot above I simply rotated the camera very quickly as I pressed the shutter.


For this shot I quickly zoomed the lens as I pressed the shutter. I took this (and the others) handheld and as a result the wobbly movement has created wavy patterns which to me look like an exploding firework.

Definitely something different to my usual style but fun to have a go at.

Thanks for stopping by.


This selection of photos formed part of a series that was produced for a client wanting a record of their old gold being made into a new ring. The original set are in colour but here I’ve chosen to show them in black and white as I think it helps to give a more timeless feel to the story.


Melting of the old gold.


After milling out, the gold is then annealed.


Shaping and soldering together.


Rounding up.


Filling in preparation for two further bands to be soldered on either side. The ring is to have a white gold centre with yellow gold outer rings.


Soldering together.


A pre-polish before adding a groove ( next photo)


Adding the final detail. The ring was then given a final polish and the white band was rhodium plated.

I hope you like this series, I thought it would be nice to show something a bit different.

All shots were taken on my Fujifilm X10 and processed in Topaz B&W Effects 2 and Lightroom 5.4

Thanks for stopping by.